Sunday, January 23, 2011

Firenze!

Ciao! It's been a few days since I last posted and a lot has happened since then!

Firenze (Florence, but I refer to it by its Italian name) was stunning! Mary, Morgan and I were gonna go together but Morgan had to back out. Mary and I are probably the worst navigators ever, but we successfully made it to, around, and home from Firenze!

Mary and I knew almost nothing about Firenze when we got off the train. Like seriously, we couldn't even find the train station on my map, so we just wandered around saying "Let's just go one more block." Thankfully even with the 2 hour train ride it was still daylight while we did most of our lost wandering. We found places to use as our bases (that rhymed. I spent a minute on it) and navigated from there.

We shopped and looked at all of the pretty buildings. I'm serious when I say that the city was stunning. Everywhere you look is a cool building. I'm definitely going to forget some of the details of the trip in this blog since so much happened.

Finding out hostel was an adventure. It was freaking freezing in Firenze. Nothing like in Buffalo or SBU, but very windy and cold. After walking around for a few hours and after dinner we just wanted to find it. We hadn't seen any of the hostels that we had written down, and we had no idea where we were ever anyway. As I said before, we are the worst navigators ever. So we looked into a few hotels, but they were expensive. We desperately wanted a warm place to stay. So we did the only logical thing to do in such a situation: we went to a gelateria. Gelato makes everything better. While fumbling through asking the staff where we could stay, some girls came in SPEAKING ENGLISH. So we asked them if they knew where we could stay. They knew of a few and they happened to take us to the best one on our list. Awesome! It's a little sketchy to get to, but it was voted best hostel in Italy in December 2010. Free internet, free locker, free breakfast, free towels to shower, a tv and playstation with movies, and a really fair price.




It was a pretty big win. Super awesome. We were well rested for the next day. We went to the Uffizi and the Galleria dell'Accademia to see some really awesome art. My favorite in the Uffizi is the Birth of Venus painting. Hands down, though, the best art I have ever seen is the David.

This replica is not nearly as impressive as the real thing. 17 feet tall and so lifelike I thought it would move. Mary and I stood there and stared for quite a while. It's even more impressive because the hallway before it is incomplete sculptures. Then you come up to the masterpiece and it is just stunning. I've never been so impressed in my life.

I got some awesome boots for like 20 euro and Mary got some awesome heels. We did everything we wanted to, didn't get lost, didn't get pickpocketed, and didn't die. That's a win in my book! Can't wait for more trips.


On another note, Mary, Morgan, and I went to a bar in town when Mary and I got home and we were sitting and chillin' when a flower vendor came in. They come in to restaurants a lot to try and sell their stuff. So he comes over and throws, literally throws, 3 flowers at us. We were confused, then he came over and gestured to some boys. They bought us flowers. And let me say, they were the smallest, worst looking flowers I have ever seen in my life. We were dying laughing and we just left them on the table when we left.

Our oven works, just too well. It burned a frozen pizza (I know, frozen pizza in Italy is blasphemy) in about 2 minutes.

That's all I can think of right now. It sucks to not have internet readily available, since I want to write stuff down immediately but I can't post it. And I'm really lazy and it has taken an inordinate amount of time to write this down. I'm sure I'll think of something else to say as soon as I post this, but that's all right. Here are a few more pictures:





Yeah. This is my life. Ciao for now!

No comments:

Post a Comment