Sunday, November 1, 2015

Making History

So this week was really short but jam packed with fun!

I only had 3 days this week, so it was a pretty easy time. For 6th grade the lesson is "I Think It's Beautiful" so we made newspapers telling about famous things the kids liked. 

My little favorite boy is the one who did Big Ben and he wanted it to be like a real article so he wrote he was the reporter and came up with the Nammyeong Times (Nammyeong is my school)
 When I told this group theirs was good, my fave boy was like "No, teacher, it's wonderful" because wonderful is one of their vocab words. My worst 6th grade class ended up being the best ones to make the papers, and I was so beyond proud of all of my students. I teared up when So Jung and I were going through them after class. they piss me off, but god do I love these kids.

They got pretty funny with the artwork:
The yellow group saw the pink group's octopus and dolphin and tried to replicate. Hilarious.

We originally were only going to hang up a few, but we felt like everyone did such a good job that they should all be on display. We put them in our hallway so everyone can see how much English the 6th graders use and so everyone can admire them and be proud of them. The other teachers who came by while we did it were very impressed. So Jung and I were so proud of the kids! And now our hallway is a bit more colorful.






My students are great sometimes.

I laughed since the points for 6-1 are LEET, a throwback to my World of Warcraft days.

Aside from 6th grade, I didn't have 3rd grade this week which is always a relief. I love them but they are crazy and don't listen. It feels like an abusive relationship sometimes. Sigh.

I didn't have time to do Halloween lessons since I had Thursday and Friday off, so I will do some with 5th and 4th grade this week. 

Thursday was my school's birthday, so we had the day off. The principal wisely decided that having Thursday off then having school Friday was silly, so we got a long weekend. While my coteachers went to Taipei, I stayed in and relaxed. I cleaned the crap out of my apartment,studied some Korea, practiced some dances, and rested. It was nice.

Friday night after my Korean class I had a Halloween party at the dance studio to attend. We were performing Bang Bang Bang, and running a flip cup table. 
With our "Waygookin" (foreigner/non-Korean) hats and out drink pouches, we were ready!



I was also kind of nervous because I was bringing my boyfriend Namho, and I wanted him to have a good time. I figured this was a good atmosphere since there were a lot of Koreans for him to talk to, and I wanted him to meet Grace since she's Korean American and Grace's boyfriend is Korean. Now we can go on double dates!

I needn't have worried. Namho says he's shy, but he was dancing and participating and socializing just fine. He got pulled up for just about every game and contest we had, and it was hilarious. 

First was a beer chugging contest. Namho won the first round and Grace, being an awesome American, won the second. Grace was no match for Namho, though. 

Grace was like "shit"

ready

Namho waited for Grace to get halfway through her beer before starting his...

And he destroyed it.
I legitimately have no idea where Namho learned to drink like that (maybe when he lived in Canada...?) because I have never seen a Korean slam a beer like he did. He did it really nonchalantly too. But everyone was hella impressed, including me, and I was super glad I brought him,

He also won a rock-paper-scissors game, and got pretty close in a weird chicken style game. During a trivia game, my friends were like we should just follow Namho since he's good at everything. We lost, but still. Can't win 'em all. 

He did win 2 shirts, so now we inadvertently have couple clothing:

Winning!

The shirt is 2XL. You can't see how much I'm swimming in it.

He looks much better in it with his muscles haha.

I'm more than a little proud that he's my boyfriend~^^

We had a really good time throughout the whole party and I was really glad I brought him. He thought Grace was hilarious, since she looks Korean but acts really American, and I had a great time performing and just hanging out. I enjoy this studio too much. Seriously.

All in all, a wonderful evening. Also, I honestly think Tina and I don;'t look like twins in this picture. Just sisters. 

Saturday Tina and I chilled and then headed out to Insadong for a cold walk and some shopping, then we went back to my apartment for some chicken, wine, and watching my all-time favorite trashy reality show, Are You the One?  My apartment is significantly warmer than Tina's at this time of the year, so I suspect we will spend some time here nowadays. 

Unfortunately Tina woke up feeling under the weather. She has her big drama club thing, so she wanted to rest. She couldn't come to dance class, which was a shame since it was fun, but hella hard. 

This week, we went alllllllllll the way back to when EXO were little babies and did one of their pre-debut songs: History. It's so old that they were still split up into EXO-K (the Korean version) and EXO-M (Chinese Version). 

Holy hell the dance was fast. You're always moving and doing something. It was sooooooo fun though! Probably one of my favorite classes. We all knew going in that we were not going to do well, but man did this dance kick our asses. It was so fun though. We couldn't stop laughing. 

Anyway, EXO's concept back then was still that they were aliens or something so the MV is pretty weird but they're so adorably young (this was in 2012 so they were like 18-20 years old ish)

EXO-K "History"

The Chinese Version is basically identical, but I prefer the sound of Korean to Chinese these days. Anyway, here is a look at the dance.
Can you believe that we tried to learn that? I knew going in that we would only do until the refrain, which ends about a minute and ten seconds in. Even getting to that was a struggle haha. We all lost it at the "I need you and you want me" part. You can tell that part because it suddenly gets way faster than the beats so it doesn't match anymore and is super hard. Haha! And by that point we had struggled through easier stuff so much that we were like "F*** this dance!" But we still tried and had a fun time. 

Here's my group:

Doin our best to stay with it haha.


Here's everyone:


You can see where we all were like "no" learning this dance. But it was so fun!


Learning EXO is a lot like learning Beast to me: I love the song, it's super hard, I'm not great at it. but it's super fun. Or I can do some parts well but get lost at others. 2 hours is not a lot of time to learn so much of a dance. I don't know how these idols do it!


In other news I am obsessed with f(x)'s new song "4 Walls"




And even more with the choreography:



The music video was done by the same person who did SHINee's "View," a song I also love, and which can be seen here:


It's been a very SM Entertainment week here.


The cold winds are rising, and Winter is Coming. I'm back to having a normal-ish schedule and no more days off until Christmas. Wahhhhh. 

But I'm happy and excited to see what November has is store. On that note, I cannot believe that it's November! Whattttttttt? Time is flying like crazy. 

Stay warm, everyone! 


No comments:

Post a Comment