Monday, October 6, 2014

Sports Day

Hello all! "Sorry, Sorry" this blog is a bit late. I was a bit overwhelmed yesterday.

I get really grumpy and anxious when I have to leave Tina after an awesome weekend, especially when I decide to try a different way home because I have to go grocery shopping and try to find a wireless router and such.

Fortunately, my panicky mood was placated when the busyness of the subway landed me standing smack dab in the front of a handsome Korean man/guy/boy (ages are hard to guess here) who kept staring at me and gingerly fixing his hair. As fate would have it, the seat next to him opened up!! ... At the stop I was getting off. Of course, had I been going my normal way home, I would have jumped into the seat and not said anything to him for 2 more stops, BUT IT WOULD HAVE BEEN MAGICAL. As fate would have it, however, I had to get off, especially when a woman's purse got caught on my headphone chord and unceremoniously yanked my headphones out of my ears as we were moving to get off.

My panic set in again when I was grocery shopping. The store is 2 floors, and there are a lot of departments and I needed a lot of things and everyone ever was grocery shopping, so it was crowded and confusing, and hot. So I got the few things I needed and left, set on going home to blog.

Obviously I didn't do that, but here I am now, just a day late and a blog post short.

I'm watching this krama called My Lovable Girl/My Lovely Girl/Isn't She Lovable or whatever the name translates to. It's got some famous Kpop people in it (Rain - he's a big deal, and Krystal from f(x) who is also a big deal, along with some people from Infinite and various other groups - SuJu made an appearance on a tv screen in the show and the song from Begin Again was playing - super contemporary) and it awesome. I'm not caught up and it's not all out yet so I am trying to pace myself, but since I already figured out my lesson plans for like the entire week (We have another holiday on Thursday!! It's Hangul day to celebrate the creation of the Korean alphabet/language) I had time to watch at work today. Anywayyyyy that's my life right now.

I had a pretty up and down week. On the upswing, it was Sports Day on Thursday and we had a holiday on Friday, so my week was really short! Seriously, I took my first actual desk nap on Wednesday because I didn't have anything to plan yayyyyyy!!!

Anyway, sports day is awesome. All the grades practice dances and events to perform for the school and it takes all day so no class yayyyyyy! And all the kids are so excited and cute and lots of parents and siblings come to enjoy the festivities. I understood very little of what was being said, but I got to watch and participate in a select few events.

I got to be a part of the relay race for the 6th graders, which was one of my favorite things. They had to get slips of paper with names on them, find the person, then head to the finish line. My name was in the pile, and someone got me. I was only expecting once, but as I was walking back to the bleachers, another student grabbed me to run, so I  just ran with it. I never did find out what it was form though the teacher told me it probably said "Beautiful Woman" or "Someone who has a different hair color than you" and as the token-not-Korean I got picked. Still, it was super fun.

So Jung (My main coteacher, 5th 6th grade) had to MC and Su Hyeon (my other coteacher for 3/4 - she's new to the school too!) was managing the scoreboard with the art teacher, so I mostly wandered around and took pictures and videos.

In lieu of much more text, here are a bunch of pictures:

These kids can Unicycle. Color me impressed.

5th grade jump rope dance


I don't understand sports day but I love it.

OMG SO CUTE



I got roped into being a part of the tug-o-war for my 6th graders.

Stand on rope. Get off rope. Chaos ensues.

Fourth grade flag dance

Some are more enthused than others by the drums.

My fifth graders.

I had hoped they would stop practicing in the morning. Alas, they did not stop.

My third graders are adorable and I love them.

They perform each dance twice: first to perform and second for parents to come watch and take pictures or participate.

Final Score!

I'm not gonna say this is my favorite student, but here's this adorable 6th grader collecting the trophy

Anyway, Sports Day was awesome an America should get it.

For more photos and videos of the events of the day, check out my facebook.\
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10153322426449968.1073741836.697649967&type=1&l=4da3683698
I'll do another post later for the rest of my weekend, but for now, see ya later!

No comments:

Post a Comment