Tuesday, March 15, 2011

"I have made the unfortunate discovery that my shoes leak" (Milano and AC Milan)

So this past weekend was a super exciting one. First, my food class went to Florence to this restaurant that recreates dishes from the past. It was... interesting. Here are the dishes:
Ginger lasagnuoli: sixteenth century Jesuit dish

Chocolate Boar: Late renaissance Medici dish

Pepposo: allegedly made by Brunelleschi to keep the workers going on the dome of the cathedral in Florence. It takes three days to make… The fruit was crunchy pear.

Uhm. All of them were interesting. I liked the ginger pasta the best, but I don't think I would order any of them if I ever saw them at a restaurant. I'm expanding my tastes, but not that far.

After an interesting adventure in Florence, it was off to Milan for me, Kara, Leigh, Mary, and Morgan. The only downside was that this adventure began with a bus at 4:40 AM...

After packing and getting little sleep, we got ourselves to the bus station on time, which is no small feat when the escalators that normally take you down there aren't running and you have to find a new way down on the fly.

So we get there at about 4:30 and we wait... and wait... and wait until 5:20 WHEN THE BUS FINALLY SHOWS UP. We settled into our seats and prepared for the long ride. We got to Milan at about 12. 5:20 to noon on a bus = not fun but not bad for sleeping.

We found our hostel (which was actually outside of Milan...), then proceeded into the city. It was awesome because they still are celebrating Carvnivale and down the street there was a Communist rally. No big deal.

We explored, we shopped, we had great food. The usual. the second day it was raining my shoes leaked.

The only really differentiating factor in Milan was AC MILAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I've never been to a soccer game (or calcio as they call it here...) but it reminded me of Sabres games. The fans are quite similar, even if I couldn't tell what they were saying. The love the players when something goes right, but the second one of them messes up they are hated.

AS Bari is the last place team in the division or whatever, so we thought AC Milan would destroy them.


Unfortunately, Bari scored first. It was exciting and fun to watch, but it was frustrating.

You know that rush of joy you get when the team you're rooting for scores? We got that 3 times. AC Milan scored 3 times. Except, the third time's the charm and only the third one counted. I don't know the rules of soccer well so I have no idea why the other two didn't count.

The game ended up tied 1 - 1 and when it ended everyone just got up and left with no fanfare. It was strange.

Since I'm lazy again, here's the album from my Milan trip:

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=380279&id=697649967&l=3d5f1c5ece

I couldn't think of any clever captions for them, so I didn't feel the need to put them in the blog separately. I know it's less impressive this way, but it's my blog and I'll do what I want to.

After the game we bought stuff, wandered around in the rain more, and took a bus to a subway station that was on a completely different line than the one we got off of. Oh well.

Then we took a Harry Potter train back. Except we bought "standing room only" tickets so we got kicked out of the Harry Potter cabin we stole. From Bologna to Florence we had to sit on these weird pop-out seats in the aisle, which proved to be difficult when the Harry Potter Snack Trolley came by. So once we got to Florence we stole another Harry Potter cabin. We did homework, slept, and just had fun.

It was really great for all of us to travel together! I had so much fun. Milan wasn't my favorite city, but the game was awesome. It made me miss home a little.

WARNING Mom, skip the next paragraph.

Now I have a lot of stuff to celebrate this week: we're celebrating my birthday tonight since I turn 20 at Midnight, then we're celebrating tomorrow since it's my actual bday leading into the 17th, which is obvvvv St. Patrick's day.

END WARNING

Thursday is also the 150th anniversary of the unification of Italy, so there's bound to be lots of fun stuff happening.

Ciao for now, and hopefully I won't be so lazy when I blog about the rest of this week/weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment