Sunday, March 29, 2015

Chill-erella

Hello, everyone!

First off, I'm excited for Game of Thrones starting soon. Also, my timehop was on point:

"The Lannisters send their regards."


This week was largely uneventful, except that my children were batshit crazy and I have never had so many students crying in my classes as I did this week. Seriously, I think I had at least one in every grade. Some of these kids are really cute but holy shit kids can be assholes. Whether it was hitting each other, a long standing feud of hiding each other's things blowing up in the subject teacher classes, competitive students losing their cool, bullying, not doing their work AGAIN, the dust, the food, or whatever else was in the air, these kids could not stop crying. Geez. It was rough. Thankfully as the native teacher, I just kind of have to keep running class while they deal with the students.

The teachers had open classes on Wednesday, which means the parents could come watch a class and evaluate the teacher. Thankfully, I took part in no classes. No parents came for So Jung's class, and 2 came to Grace/Eun Hye's class and they didn't tell her much to improve. Everyone was relieved when it was over.

Lunch was SO BAD on Friday that we ate ramen instead, then got a pizza. I cannot begin to describe what is on this pizza but it was so good. 

It was also a sad few days for So Jung, as her little brother left for the military on Thursday, and she was sick all week. I felt really bad for her. I brought in a twix egg for her on Thursday, and she looked at it sadly and told me her brother would have really liked that. She had to say goodbye to him in the morning before school and he'll be in the military for like 2 years, and she has no other siblings. He's also apparently good at beat boxing and is very loud in their house, so So Jung thinks it will be really quiet and sad at home. Our 6th graders were also monsters that day (a stolen pencil case resulted in a lot of crying and no games or fun for class), and I had to spend quite a bit of the afternoon talking So Jung down from thinking it was somehow her fault or that she snapped because of her home situation. She's also in grad school, so she has a lot of stress in her life. I love her to death and it hurts me to see her hurting, but we managed to have some laughs since Korea doesn't do holiday shaped candy. She found it fascinating and took one home to show her parents since she can't show her brother. I hope they can carry on well without him! They're such a lovely family.


Speaking of lovely family, Tina and I hung out like literally all weekend and it was glorious. Friday brought us out to Gangnam to meet with friends on that side of the city, and we met some of the new spring intakes to EPIK. It's always fun to see old and new friends, but man were we tired when we finally got home. It takes a long time to get to and from Gangnam, but it's so worth it.

Saturday was awesome. We saw Cinderella, which was every bit as wonderful as I hoped it would be. Richard Madden was a perfect prince, to the point where some of my thoughts were inappropriate for the number of children in the audience. I'm pretty sure we were the only ones without kids there but whatever.

Lily James was flawless as Cinerdella, and Cate Blanchett killed it as the evil stepmother.

They did such a good job updating it! I had a few problems with the movie, but they detracted none percent from my enjoyment. I do still wonder why the shoes didn't disappear at midnight, but alas. I will suspend my disbelief because fairy tale is amazing and the movie was awesome.




I'm definitely going to try to live one of the messages of the movie: Have courage, and be kind.

We went to the Sicilian restaurant Tina and I had tried before when the movie was finished, and it was awesome. Ciuri Ciuri, you are amazing. It's also not ludicrously overpriced for the food, which is great for real Italian food in Seoul. The owners are from Italy and it's awesome. 10/10 would recommend. Will go again soon.


After some wandering in Hongdae, Tina and I headed to my apartment and watched the finale of The Challenge, MTV's trashy reality show that I adore.

On Sunday we relaxed and watched Running Man, an awesome variety show, and eventually went out to Sinchon to meet Janell for some tacos. Yum! What a delicious weekend!



I got tres tacos at Dos Tacos this time. 

Nachossss
We discussed many important issues, such as the ludicrousness of SM and their shameless money-making scheme that is EXO. Seriously, their new album is going to have 20 different packagings. There are 10 members in the group, and they album will come out in Korean and Chinese (Korean in gold and Chinese in silver GUESS WHICH MARKET THEY VALUE MORE), and each member will have a cover for each languages. OH and if you buy them all, they make the album title/concept picture for EXODUS (the album name). Genius, especially if they add like a "if you buy the album you get a chance for a fanmeet" thing, since I am positive people will buy all 20 of the album. Fans be crazy. I'm glad I got into this when I was 22 not 14, because I could see this being unhealthy.

I think Kpop groups and their woes are similar to the pain felt by all the One Directioners when Zayn left. Good for you, Zayn. Live your life.

Another issue is the dating scandal of Lee Min Ho, a popular actor, and Miss A's Suzy, who is a few years younger than him. JYP's (Suzy's company) stocks actually dropped when the news came out, and my coworkers were all freaking out about it for days. Dating is considered a scandal here, which I think has a lot of really weird implications and connotations. Whatever. I'll never get used to it.


Anyway, my 6th graders are on a field trip til Thursday, so I only have one class on Tuesday and one on Wednesday, which makes this an easy week for me! Yay! Hopefully I can study some Korean and watch some tv and relax once I get some of next week's lesson's figured out. So far I've been able to keep up on my lessons. Here's to hoping that trend continues.

Until next week, here's this awesome Cinderella stuff:
Lavender's Blue (Dilly Dilly) is such a sweet song! I've had it stuck in my head all day.


Just, all the yes. 

For the sake of having a picture of me in my blog, here is me with a cupcake. Thanks, Tina! 


Next weekend we're off to Jinhae for the cherry blossom festival and to Busan for fun, so hopefully it's beautiful and doesn't rain!!  



No comments:

Post a Comment